Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Birthday Eve

So, when I have another birthday, it always causes a little bit of self introspection and reflection...what have I accomplish in the past year, where do I want to be a year from now. It's like New Year's only better...because I actually feel more of a push to progress and set goals as I AGE rather than just at the new year. I haven't spent a bunch of time working through all the things I'm going to say below, it's pretty spur of the moment to be honest, but it's good to get it on paper. Here goes, a few thoughts on the eve of my 26th birthday (yes, you read that correctly, 26! holy smokes!)

1) for some reason, 26 feels significantly older than turning 25 did. It's like the downhill slope to 30, late 20's instead of early 20's.....gross. weird. old, but not really.

2) I have been on this planet for more than a quarter of a century...and what have I accomplished in these past 26 years?

3) At 26, I am a curvy, voluptuous woman...but a little too curvy. I need to learn how to start taking care of myself again.

4) I would like to learn how to really do my makeup to look nice. I think I'm going to take myself to the MAC counter, or sephora, or clinique and have somebody teach me. It's about time.

5) I would like to actually date somebody this year. Like a full blown, serious relationship.

6) To start off, I would like to go on a date with Neal Mortensen. He is a babe. A studly new marine in my ward. Return missionary. Humble. Sincere. Funny. Chivalrous. Manly. Intelligent. And looks so hot in uniform. Yummy.

7) I am going to start running. It's a major goal for me right now. And my bestie Miriam is moving in with me for the next 2 months, and she is a big runner. She is going to help me. And Agne Kelermanaite is my inspiration, along with my favorite picture from my mission when I was skinny and looking oh so hot. I'm going to reprint it a bunch of times and plaster it all over the place as a reminder, positive affirmation, and motivator.

8) I want to learn how to sprint harder in fulfilling my calling with everything I have. It's overwhelming sometimes, but in the singles ward, callings usually don't last longer than a year or two. I can serve better. With more faith. With a more willing heart. Closer to the Spirit. More in line with God's will.

9) I want to learn to be more forgiving to myself for my own faults and weaknesses, and learn how to be more humble to rely on God to help me with them.

10) I will tell my family more frequently how much I love them and am grateful for them. The past couple of years we've had our fair share of challenges, and life is just hard sometimes, and sometimes people get all on edge and don't express the love that we should. So I would like to change that in my life.

11) I want to share the gospel with someone close to me and help them come home back to Christ.

12) I will finish floral design school and start freelance wedding floral design. It is one of my few passions, and it brings me a lot of joy, a great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction seeing something beautiful that I have created that brings beauty and happiness to others too, even in a small way and for a short time.

13) I want to live my life for me and in line with God's will...and not for anybody else's expectations or desires.

14) I will read more books for fun, for me, for learning and enrichment and entertainment.

15) I will cook more this year. And learn to cook new exciting recipes, increase my skills, and expand my horizons for new foods and flavors, and not be so picky.

16) I will spend more time with little kids. I miss that sometimes. I'm ALWAYS around adults. And kids teach us how to be happy with who we are and with life. It always seems to make so much more sense around kids. Black and white. Clarity. Ya know?

17) I will learn to flirt with boys. I will practice and role play if I must. But if I must, I will go and go.

18) I will invest in my personal education, hobbies and pursuits to rediscover myself and things I love and appreciate, or things that I don't know yet that I love and appreciate but will come to.

19) I will not be afraid to express my feelings toward others and hold back like I so often have to "not ruin the friendship." Lame. Hasn't gotten me anywhere thus far and we're not friends anymore anyway.

20) I will continue to go on blind dates and setups.

21) I will branch out and go to activities with other singles wards here in California and meet new people every week.

22) I will walk on the beach at least twice a week...I should say every day, but I know realistically it won't happen yet.

23) I would like to have a summer "fling" (in mormon terms of course), which would then be ok if it turned into something more...but at least kiss a handsome man by the end of the summer.

24) I will attend one of my best friend's wedding in SLC, UT on July 29, 2011. What a lucky man this guy is to marry my friend.

25) I would like to take a spur of the moment road trip with a dear friend and just start driving one day.

26) Finally, I will continue to choose happiness this year.

HAPPY 26th BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!!! Cuz I deserve it. Cuz I am one of the coolest, most beautiful, most wonderful people I know. Cheers to me!   ;)

Love y'all!

5 comments:

  1. i agree, you are cool, beautiful and wonderful!!!!

    happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETH!! I definitely think you should go on a date with this Neal Mortensen guy....afterall, Mortensen is a pretty cool last name to have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and love your goals. I have many of the same... only I've got several years on you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Beth! I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous goals. I'm stealing your goal-making-on-the-birthday idea. It's the perfect time to review and plan. I'm also stealing some of your goals. What good are friends if you can't steal a few ideas from them?!! One of mine is to lose some weight so my husband will be able to compliment me with something more scintillating than, "I'm so lucky to be married to a woman who is aging so well . . . ." Sigh.

    ReplyDelete